Prominent Anti-Bullying Speaker
Dr. Joel Haber is not just a clinical psychologist. He’s a dynamic speaker who connects, empathizes, engages and makes a real difference in the lives of those who have been and are being bullied. He speaks to the targets, their loved ones and those responsible for ending abusive behavior in schools, on playgrounds, down the hall and in the workplace. His presentations are compelling and effective and provide attendees with useful practical knowledge.
As an anti-bullying speaker, Dr. Haber’s speaks on topics the following areas:
- Types and causes of bullying
- Bullying prevention techniques
- Implementation of anti-bullying programs
The following are a sampling of the speeches Dr. Haber has given over his career. These reinforce his expertise as an anti-bullying speaker and his understanding of bullying behavior.
- (Oct. 16th, 2013) Dr. Haber discussed bullying and violence prevention in American and South Korean schools with the first South Korean bullying prevention advocacy group.
- Keynote speech to the 2010 YMCA Campfire Conference, Black Mountain, NC (May, 5th, 2010) – Speech available in short video clips:
- “Why should we talk about bully prevention?” –Why bullying prevention is important for camper and staff retention.
- “The Biggest Fear of Staff” – Civility in camps and society, staff-on-staff bullying, camper-on-staff bullying, and staff fear that elevating bullying problems to management might result in termination.
- “The Four Types of Bullying” – Physical and verbal bullying, exclusionary behavior, and cyberbullying in camp settings.
- “Counselor Bullying Statistics” – Statistics on counselor bullying, available here
- “The First 48 hours of staff training” – Social hierarchies formed early on by counselors can set the tone for the camp’s culture as a whole.
- “Social Laddering” – Social group and hierarchy formation, bullying behavior as an attempt to avoid being on the bottom of the hierarchy.
- “A Social Laddering Experiment” – A method to illustrate social laddering for staff during workshops.
- “The Litigation Issue” – Bully prevention steps camps can take to avoid litigation and litigious threats.
Dr. Haber has spoken around the topics of bullying prevention and appeared on a variety of traditional and online media outlets, including:
- Fox News
- CBS New York
- HuffPost Live
- WCBS 2 New York – Bullying in schools: An emphasis on coaching as a means to combat bullying. Parents should not directly intervene and should remain calm around their children. Discussion of the growing prevalence of bully coaching and training programs across the country.
- WCBS 2 New York – Summer camp bullying: Topics include role-playing counselor training, deleterious effects of bullying, economic effects of bullying in camps (poor camper retention rates) and the necessity of immediate intervention for suspected bullying issues.
- WUSA 9, Washington DC CBS affiliate interview (Jan. 19th, 2011) – Bully coaching overview. Dr. Haber urges parents to stay calm, not intervene directly, and role-play with kids to help them devise anti-bullying strategies. Advice for parents on observing children for cyberbullying activity.
- Fox News Strategy Room Herotopia Interview (Oct. 4th, 2010) – Interview with Herotopia founders Caryn & Wade Teman and bullying speaker Joel Haber about Herotopia as a means to build self-confidence and give kids anti-bullying skills. Discussion of the causes of cyberbullying
- HuffPost Live Bullying stories interview (Jan. 9th 2013)